The procedure of getting a filling is fast and painless. Learn why they are necessary and what to expect.
All of us have bacteria in our mouths that live on our teeth. This bacteria feeds on sugar from the food we eat and produces a strong acid that eats away at the enamel on our teeth.
If left unchecked cavities (tooth decay) can develop. In the past, the end result of a cavity generally meant that a tooth had to be pulled. Thankfully this is no longer the case. A filling is a way to prevent further tooth decay all the while restoring the tooth back to its normal shape and healthy function.
The Filling Procedure
- Our caring dentist will first make sure that you are comfortable and ready for the procedure. Nothing is rushed.
- They will ensure this comfort throughout the whole procedure by applying local anesthetic that will numb the area around the cavity.
- Next, they will use a high-speed handpiece to gently remove the decayed material from the tooth.
- Once it is certain that all of the decayed tissue and debris is taken out, the area is cleaned in preparation for the actual filling.
- Finally, your dentist will fill the tooth with either an amalgam or composite resin filling.
- You are done and your tooth is as good as new.
If the above procedure sounds too scary for your sensitive mouth there is an alternative. Visit your dentist at City Square Dental Center on a regular basis. We cannot stress this enough. Getting an examination and teeth cleaning regularly will greatly reduce the threat of tooth decay and the need for fillings.
BOOK APPOINTMENT Call 604-876-4537